Sunday, June 30, 2013

Colorado State Conference - 2012



This year, at the Colorado State FCCLA Conference and competition there were some great changes, and some challenges.   The changes that were most noted by myself and my students were the comparative ease of check-in at the hotel, which normally took several hours, and kept most waiting (some until after dinner) but this year the hotel check in at a designated registration table was very organized, and easier to manage in years past.
Another notable change was the way that the events were run.  The use of the spreadsheets for event chairs was an amazing idea, and I hope, one that continues.   My students didn’t mention the same inconsistencies with the judges as in years past, although I think that further judges training may be something to consider.
My students really enjoyed the opening speaker, and ceremony.   They also were very impacted by the speaker from Columbine at one of the workshops.   It was a very powerful message for them. The banquet was lovely, as usual.  My students also noted that the dress code was better enforced than in previous years, which was nice not only for them, but for the advisers as well.   The closing ceremonies were a little less organized however, and if I were to make one suggestion it would be to concentrate on that for next year.
In all, we enjoyed the 2013 Colorado State Conference and Competition and look forward to what next year holds.

--Marilyn Wagner
Pueblo City Schools
Spanish Peaks District

No comments:

Post a Comment